Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will the nectar flow be over in northeast TN? Once the flow is over I want to take my honey supers off fairly quickly so that I can go ahead and treat with Formic pro in my production hives and Thymol in my nucs, before it gets hot. And then get them fed. Once the flow is over do I need to leave the boxes on the hives a certain amount of time to maybe let the honey “ripen” or to let the bees finish capping it further? Or is it fine to take them off right away? Then do you generally place the frames of honey in a room with a dehumidifier for 2 days prior to extracting. My fully capped honey has always been a little wet according to two calibrated refractometers. What I noticed previously is the dehumidifier dried out the honey if it was not capped but did not do much if it was capped. I tend to think that my honey is clover honey and just naturally wet. If your honey gets too dry does that increase the occurrence of chrystillization?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think we are seeing the same things we are about 2 hours apart you look like your close to the mountains. I still have sourwood and sumac to bloom here and i see bees working white clover elderberry. i had a hive i went in saturday And saw queen no eggs in double deep. Sourwood is maybe halfway or a quarter in bloom for me. i extracted some honey last week .and looked at supers that i put back on a few days later and pretty dry went back wed. And saw a little bit of nectar in of the middle frames being filled so im hoping it picks up as sourwood and sumac bloom. As far as wet honey last year i didnt have a problem with it so figures if it was capped it was good. I just bought a cheap refractometor to test since im selling some this year just to be safe dont want it molding on anyone 20190606_095746.jpg
Snapchat-715792419.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts