Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to find out several things about swarms because I’ve been surprised this year.

I just ordered some queens, one of which was for a swarm I captured. I had seen no eggs and no queen for 10 days. Last night, just before the arrival of my queens, I saw a few eggs. I was really thrown - and half happy and half pissed because I threw out money, it seems.

So my question are all about timing.
What is the safe window of time to wait until you’re sure you DO or do NOT have a laying queen in your swarm - if you can’t find her?
What are some signs and signals to watch for in captured swarms?

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
So my question are all about timing.
What is the safe window of time to wait until you’re sure you DO or do NOT have a laying queen in your swarm - if you can’t find her?
What are some signs and signals to watch for in captured swarms?
If the swarm acts normally - assume it is a normal swarm (i.e. queen-right).
A queen-less swarm is really an oxymoron.
The queen could be a virgin and needs to go through mating (could be up to 2 weeks for the egg laying to start), but nonetheless - she is almost always present.
There is a small chance of the queen being damaged during the swarm capture - but a small chance.
There is also a chance of the virgin queen loss during the mating.

But again - assume a swarm is queen-right and go from there.
Queen-less swarms don't just fly about because queen-less swarms are meaning-less in any sense.
No need for quick knee-jerk actions (replacement queen purchases and such).
:)

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
first swarm "Should" contain the old Queen , mated, laying in a week i would think. clipped Queens cannot fly so they wait for a Virgin.
Second, third swarms etc will Likely contain 1 or more virgins, 11-4 days one should see eggs.

Get better finding her :)

GG

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first swarm "Should" contain the old Queen , mated, laying in a week i would think. clipped Queens cannot fly so they wait for a Virgin.
Second, third swarms etc will Likely contain 1 or more virgins, 11-4 days one should see eggs.

Get better finding her :)

GG
Thanks. I need to try harder at it.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I expect a mid season swarm to have a virgin queen. I give them two weeks undisturbed and watch for pollen coming in which often indicates the queen is now laying. Timing is critical though. At three weeks, a swarm who's queen did not return could go LW and that makes the swarm pretty much worthless. So , you need to have a backup plan. If your swarm was large enough, you might try making a split with the new purchased queen, or try selling her locally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts