Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the pink pages and George was talking about feeding during the winter with sugar water along with the MCM. In his talkings, he said that he would place the quart jars or whatever directly over the cluster because the bees would not move to get it. We say that the jars are NOT supposed to drip, but wouldn't placing a Mason Jar full of Sugar water directly over the hive increase the possibility that when the weather warms a bit that it could possibly drip down onto the cluster? High today is supposed to be 50 degrees and finally a full sun, so they might be out and about moving. I am going to go check on them, and will probably go ahead and add suger to the top bars, but was wondering everyones opinion on this......

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The only time I have seen my lids drip is when I made some using a 5/64 bit. I had a lot of holes in the lid and it was 100 deg out. And even then it was a very slow drip. If you use a 1/32 bit with 15-20 holes I don’t think it will drip at all. The pre punched lids I have bought at Dadant have 37 1/32” holes. I have never seen them drip.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The only time I have seen my lids drip is when I made some using a 5/64 bit. I had a lot of holes in the lid and it was 100 deg out. And even then it was a very slow drip. If you use a 1/32 bit with 15-20 holes I don’t think it will drip at all. The pre punched lids I have bought at Dadant have 37 1/32” holes. I have never seen them drip.
I really hate to disagree with some one, but I have several lids from dadant and kelleys'. I have never had one that wouldn't drip some especially when you first put them in until they build up some vaccum. This is using a 2-1 syrup, actually kind of thick. The holes that I have in mine are made withnails which actually protrude up inside. I would not put it over my bees in the winter, you are only asking for trouble. Use the MCM, too many do with success. Just my experience.:D

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
They will drip until the vaccum builds. But that is like 10 or less seconds. Unless you have some type of air gap problem or something they won't drip. I wouldn't leave it for them to have unless the outlook (weather wise) was good. Just incase. But in my area I/we can get away with things others can't. I am using MCM on some this year. Really intrested to see how good it go's.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What does MCM stand for? I am also reading the Pink Pages but I havent seen this yet.

Thanks
Tony
Mountain Camp Method; It is where you use dry sugar on newspaper on top of your brood nest frames with a slight mist of water to crust it where the bees won't carry it out as trash. There is an older large forum discussing this on this website. It is considered for emergency feeding only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts