Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a strong hive that threw 3 swarms that I know if in the past two weeks; I managed to catch two of them. I noticed today that the hive that swarmed is already bringing in pollen and while watching it I noticed a high pitched buzz almost like pipping, then I saw a worker bee dragging out a small queen bee. If a hive has multiple queen bees hatching and already a laying queen will it throw out the newly hatched virgin queens?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sometimes the workers don't like the smell of a virgin and will treat her like a foreign bee and will either drag her out or kill her. It doesn't matter if they have a queen or not.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Swarms can many times have more than one queen in them. Lots of times with after swarms more than one virgin will take flight with the swarm. So it's possible they picked the one they wanted and that one lost. Or maybe she got killed and they're now queenless. I would check on them and if queenless just combine them with another swarm or colony.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had a strong hive that threw 3 swarms that I know if in the past two weeks; I managed to catch two of them. I noticed today that the hive that swarmed is already bringing in pollen and while watching it I noticed a high pitched buzz almost like pipping, then I saw a worker bee dragging out a small queen bee. If a hive has multiple queen bees hatching and already a laying queen will it throw out the newly hatched virgin queens?
I have seen this sort of activity before. It could be their rejecting a virgin. It also could be a virgin that flew back into the wrong hive. I have also had stray virgins fly into queenright hives and replace the queen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts