Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the answer to this question.
I've looked high and low, but have not found the reason.
I know someone here knows why the documentation with Formic Pro says 'do not feed' while being treated.

Thank you.
Blessings,

Bob from Holyoke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
Someone from a FB group called Nod to ask that question.The answer was that during product testing they saw increased bee mortality when feeding with in hive feeders,especially in the first 3 days.
Open feeding is OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
I imagine that the syrup somehow absorbed formic acid from the vaporization of the strips and was toxic when ingested or some how burned the mouthparts or digestive system of the bee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,903 Posts
Yes that's the other aspect, robbing.

Formic acid is a disruptive treatment and can reduce a hive's ability to defend itself, making it more prone to being robbed. Feeding syrup at that time is just compounding the risk factors.

A person may get away with it, but then again, may not. My view, feed before or after, but not during. If after, I'd leave a few days or a week for the hive to re organise, before feeding.

If the issue is timing, ie, winter is coming I only have so much time to feed plus do treatment, there is really no need to take weeks to give a hive it's winter feed. You can slam dunk 4 gallons of syrup into a hive in just a few days if the hive is healthy and a large capacity top feeder is used and set up properly. So, do that, then treat, then feed some more if needed. If the hive is noticeably suffering with mites, a less harsh treatment type could be a better choice, and most of them, feeding can be done during, with no issues.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top