Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,

I'm picking up a couple of nucs on Saturday. Originally I had planned to immediately transfer the frames to a new (bigger) hive body the same day I picked them up.

But is that actually the best idea? Should I let them "settle in" for a day or two first, then transfer to the new hive body? Or settle in for longer?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Transfer the frames the same day, they are already in a state of disruption from the move. Put on a slow feeder if you are not in a nectar flow, and then give them a week to settle in.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Transfer the frames the same day, they are already in a state of disruption from the move. Put on a slow feeder if you are not in a nectar flow, and then give them a week to settle in.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Same day. I recommend feeding even if they are in a nectar flow. If they take the syrup it will contribute to their comb building. Obviously, if they don't take the syrup...don't keep trying to feed. Wait a week or even two then try again.
Just my approach.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
The only reason to wait would be if you're in a northern climate and the nights are really cold and the nuc isn't that full... You're in Georgia. I would put them directly into the hive. There will be less confusion because they will orient on the hive you will keep them in. Otherwise they will orient on the nuc and then have to orient again on the hive, not to mention they are disrupted from getting jostled around, and putting them in the hive won't be that much more since they are already disrupted.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much for the advice Dan!
Same day. I recommend feeding even if they are in a nectar flow. If they take the syrup it will contribute to their comb building. Obviously, if they don't take the syrup...don't keep trying to feed. Wait a week or even two then try again.
Just my approach.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks much Michael!
The only reason to wait would be if you're in a northern climate and the nights are really cold and the nuc isn't that full... You're in Georgia. I would put them directly into the hive. There will be less confusion because they will orient on the hive you will keep them in. Otherwise they will orient on the nuc and then have to orient again on the hive, not to mention they are disrupted from getting jostled around, and putting them in the hive won't be that much more since they are already disrupted.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
if you feed do not add any feeding stimulants....such as honey b healthy.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Why is that a problem for NUCS?
First, I am not aware of any useful purpose for it.
Second, it attracts the attention of every bee in the neighborhood. It can lead to robbing….particularly if there isn’t a nectar flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts