Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting in my second year with some new nucs and I have a lot of drawn frames from last year's combines.

My question is, when do I add a second brood box since I already have drawn frames? I was always told that you put it on once 80% of the frames have been drawn but I assume I shouldn't just throw a second box on as soon as I install new nucs. I am in Pennsylvania, USDA 6b. I hope to get the nucs next week.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
You should make the determination on when to add another brood box based on the number of seams of bees between the frames as well as the amount of frames filled with forage. Basically, you want to make sure the queen has plenty of comb to lay in and the workers have comb to put stores in and there are enough bees to defend the hive. Another consideration is your flow and possible presence of small hive beetles which is dependent on location. So its helpful to put your location in your profile. Also, what are the size of your boxes? Obviously, a 8 frame medium can explode overnight so I would give them another box sooner on smaller boxes if you cannot monitor regularly. J

1 - 2 of 2 Posts