Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is pure speculation.

And I get that the best bee type is whatever will survive, not necessarily pure genetics...and I guess the great beekeepers say this.

But I was wondering if eventually you guys think that in North America, things will get so muddied that there won't really be any pure italians, or carnolians, or others anymore, but just end up with things being labeled but starting to all look the same?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If left to beekeepers (i.e. uncontrolled matings), then this could indeed eventually occur - but in universities and research centres up and down your country (and indeed in other countries too) there are guys using genetic markers and artificial insemination techniques to ensure that certain sub-types continue to exist.
LJ

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>But I was wondering if eventually you guys think that in North America, things will get so muddied that there won't really be any pure italians, or carnolians, or others anymore, but just end up with things being labeled but starting to all look the same?

They just keep saying the yellow ones are Italians and the black ones are Carniolans. They are already so muddied up that they are not really distinguishable. That happened 50 years ago...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts