Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a second hive body on one of my hives. This hive has most of the frames drawn out and there are lots of bees bearding on the front.
My question is when adding the next hive body can I just put it on with 10 empty frames of plastic foundation or do I pull up some frames from the first hive body and replace them with empty foundation?

·
Registered
211 Posts
you can move a frame of brood up to the 2nd brood chamber and that will ensure bees move up also, they wont abandon brood, just have to be sure overnight temps are up a little, here in Pa. we are still having night time temps in hi 40s which I feel is a little to cold to do this, but you can move some honey and pollen up and replace with foundation,
rand

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If you have bees bearding on the hive, chances are they will be all over that foundation in the new box immediately -- there isn't enough room in the original box for the bees you have!

If they don't start in on it in a couple days (you can just lift the cover and look, you will see the bees on the frames and new comb) then I would move some brood up. It's supposed to be quite warm in this neck of the woods, so I wouldn't anticipate problems.

I just put a new box on my package last week, they had five frames of brood that should be emerging now and can use the space.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts