Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the wood part looks easy enough. I even have enough scrap lumber. But, what about the metal sheathing? Where do you buy it, or do most do-it-yourself folks just rely on an excellent paint job?

Enquiring minds want to know!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
My sons do rubber roofing so I use rubber scraps. Anyplace where they are putting on a rubber roof have scraps in the dumpster. They last forever and are easy to bend.
I have tried nailing and gluing and both work fine. Sometimes I just put on the plywood and paint it too. But it will last longer with something on it. I have used scraps of asphalt roll roofing too with good luck or aluminum printing plates. I'm rather partial to sink cut outs with formica on them. They are heavy enough to not blow off and waterproof enough to last a long time and I get them for free. I often just use them as is as a migratory style cover or cut them to fit, or use them as the lid to a telescopic.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used the aluminum sheeting from the hardware store. I think it was around $30.00 for 50 feet. Depending on how picky you are with your tops, you might find you don't like how they look without bending properly. Luckily I found a really nice metal break. Play around with a few pieces on bending in the corners. I ended up tucking one end in and folding the other over like a 45, but there are differnt ways to do it. I tried different glues on the top to the aluminum, but found with a nice bend on the sides it's not needed (plus the glue doesn't stick anyway). I used 3/8 stainless steel staples to attach the aluminum. I think the money spent on polyurethane glue is well worth it especially on a plain lap joint. One more tip: The aluminum cuts really well with a good piece of flat steel and sharp utility knife.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I use something called "coil". It's coated aluminum used in siding. Comes in 50' coils and already painted your color. Cut with snips. Bend with boards clamped to the bench and staple with my air stapler.

Dickm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts