Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 150 pounds of honey i harvested from a cutout. Can i use it to induce them to build more comb like you can with 1:1 sugar? IF so, how would i make the honey thin enough to get them to start working on comb.

thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am wondering why would you have to thin it? I think if you thin it that would promote fermentation and molding? I have not done this myself but, I am planning on use a frame feeder with the honey in it's natural state during the dearth this fall and into early winter. I guess you are sure the honey comes from a healthy hive since you did the cutout job. :doh: I see you are planning on feeding to the colony that came from the cutout.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i don't know and thats why i am asking. When we feed sugar, we mix it 1:1 to get them to build comb. its significantly thinner than honey is.
I want to get them to build up comb. Right now i have honey and no money to buy sugar.
this is a feral hive that had been in that tree for 16 years. ANd talk about Gentle! We were cutting them out and i didn't even get bumped by the girls much less attacked.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You can try a small amount in a feeder and see if they take it, personally I wouldn't.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can try a small amount in a feeder and see if they take it, personally I wouldn't.
ok why? I am looking for insight here. I have a new cutout here, that i have to get started building new comb. We are just out of a dearth and the goldenrod is blooming and pollen is coming in again.

I want this colony to survive this winter as they are a awesome colony.

I need any and all input on it. ;)
thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have tried it twice and they wouldn't take it, I wasted allot of honey...sugar water they take more readily,
trade your honey with sugar amongst your friends.
Especially when you still have some nectar coming in they stay away from honey water.
I think sugar water they can work more easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts