Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting back into bee keeping. Built several Med 8 frame boxes and would like to use a top entrance. After the bees fill the first box do I put the next box on top of it or under it then put on the lid? Do they build up or down with a "top" entrance? Had to ask.... :scratch:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just getting back into bee keeping. Built several Med 8 frame boxes and would like to use a top entrance. After the bees fill the first box do I put the next box on top of it or under it then put on the lid? Do they build up or down with a "top" entrance? Had to ask.... :scratch:
3 bears,
I run a larger bottom entrance with a small top entrance in my inner cover. Naturally, the top entrance progresses up the stack as it grows. I assume you would do the same, if not, it would no longer be a top entrance once you added box #2, it would be a middle entrance. :-/ LOL!

Michael Bush runs exclusively top entrances, his entrances are merely his top covers with a shim that creates an upper entrance, so naturally...those move up as the stack grows.

I think bees will always build top to bottom in each individual box....regardless of where the entrance is located.

I also went with all 8 frame medium equipment, and have been quite pleased, I think that is a choice you will be happy with.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
You'll want to add the second box to the top of the first box. The bees will move up into the second box. You'll want to add the second box when around 6 of the frames in the bottom box are drawn out, since I imagine you're using foundation. You could take a frame from the edge of the bottom box and move it up to the center of the second box. Replace the frame in the bottom box with a frame of foundation. This will help entice the bees to move up into the second box and start on it.

Keep an eye on the remaining frames of foundation in the bottom box. If the outer frames are not getting drawn out, swap them inward 1 position. That should help.

You can use many ways to add a top entrance, from shims to a dedicated inner cover notch. Make sure you slide your telescoping cover forward to uncover the notch in the inner cover.

Good luck, and welcome back to beekeeping.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
The advantages to putting the boxes on top usually outweigh the advantages to putting them underneath. On top you can see when they are full to add more. On top you don't have to lift boxes. All things being equal, bees naturally move down, but they have no issues with moving up or sideways if that is where the space is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:DThank you all for your responses and help..... What a great group. :D. Have been trying to get "things" ready as to when I "trap" my first swarm..... Walking out the door with my friend to go pig hunting with dogs and knife....last week we "caught a 300+lbs BAR. Thanks again for the help....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts