Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 wild captured swarm.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to beekeeping with my first captured swarm. Happy bees so far and building away. Even happier apiarist. A thread about how often is too often to inspect a hive got me thinking and thus asking a question.

When I picked up my frame bases from Miller Bee, I opted for screened bases. I know that there are pros and cons to them but I am of the camp that you can detect problems in a hive by what falls through the screen. I keep a plastic card in the slot at all times unless I am checking on the hive. In the last few days, I've found 2 SHB. One was dead which leads me to believe that the CDCase SHB trap and boric acid bait might be working. I also have some SHB traps that hang between the frames.

That all aside. My assumption is that swarm cells are queen cells. When a hive makes these queen cells, where are they generally constructed? Low, high, anywhere? If low and often in the lower super, I would expect it to be possible to do a visual inspection up into the lower super through the screen.

I want my bees happy. I even absconded with my mother in laws bird bath to put near the hive to save them some flying time in seeking water in hot weather. I am hesitant to open the hive too often and to disturb their activities. If I can detect signs that might indicate the precursors to a swarm without cracking it open, I am all for it.

Thanks for all of the insights.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A hive won't swarm in a week. For instance, if you inspect and the next day there are swarm cells, the hive won't swarm before your next inspection. A queen cell can basically be constructed anywhere. People mistake superseder for swarm cells because they think a super sedure cell can't be at the bottom of a frame.

Most people say not to inspect more than once a week. I have 4 hives now, but I only started beekeeping in march. Now I am inspecting much less, but before I would inspect a hive almost every day. I would recommend inspecting often if you are very new. It really gives you a way better Idea of what the bees are doing. Although, I would not do a full inspection every day. Maybe just pull a frame or two.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well it says you are in Tennessee.

Your state will always have hive beetles around. I don't think you'll ever really be rid of them fully. But it is possible to reduce them still.

It will be interesting to see what the others say who have more experience. Try to enjoy it and have fun with it.

I still struggle with the idea of how often to go in the hives. I love going in them to see what's up, but I'm careful to not do so too much. Some people don't think its bad but some do.

Having a water source out there that's stable wasn't a bad idea. I like it. I'm in an especially dry state, so much so that everyone worries about water for all their animals, not just bees.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Swarm cells are usually on the bottom of the frames, and they are numerous, a supersedure cell would be on the face of the frame, and number only a few, emergency cells would be all over the frame and quite a few.
Curious if you have any thoughts also on if there's ways to tell which thing is causing the supersedure?

I found frame facing QCs today in a hive. And its a beautiful really dark queen. I don't want to lose her. :(

·
Registered
700 Posts
Curious if you have any thoughts also on if there's ways to tell which thing is causing the supersedure?

I found frame facing QCs today in a hive. And its a beautiful really dark queen. I don't want to lose her. :(
I usually move the queen to a 2 or 3 framer and monitor, if they supersede again there must be something wrong, also I check the egg pattern.

·
Registered
1 wild captured swarm.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having a water source out there that's stable wasn't a bad idea. I like it. I'm in an especially dry state, so much so that everyone worries about water for all their animals, not just bees.
I found bees in a bird bath in our back yard about 200' from the hive so I figured why not give them something closer.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,765 Posts

pull the frame with the cell into a NUC, add some frames of bees from somewhere else, let her hatch, if you like the mother the replacement should also be nice.

they will likely make another, One story I read the keeper got 6 nice queen cells prior to the old girl passing.

IF they are replacing her she is somewhat lost already. a daughter or 2 would be nice. they "may change " their mind but not likely.

GG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts