Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much will it set back a production hive in the middle of the flow if I took two frames and a shake of bees to make a nuc?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
If you are in the middle of your flow, which is likely, taking brood and nurse bees now will not affect the forager force much since the brood is some 50 days away from being forager aged. The nurse bees that you move will have a slight impact on production as they would have matured out while the flow was still on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are in the middle of your flow, which is likely, taking brood and nurse bees now will not affect the forager force much since the brood is some 50 days away from being forager aged. The nurse bees that you move will have a slight impact on production as they would have matured out while the flow was still on.
This is why I come here to ask questions like this. Your perspective makes perfect sense. Yes we are in the middle of the flow, a slow one that started out fast at that. Thanks JW

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Some people will pull the queen with the several frame split and let the parent hive produce the queen. Can make a brood break for mite treatment at same time. Just be prepared to recombine if either mating fails.

It certainly is more complicated to get several frames with the queen than it is to get several frames without the queen though!:rolleyes: I hate queen finding in my dark bees!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some people will pull the queen with the several frame split and let the parent hive produce the queen. Can make a brood break for mite treatment at same time. Just be prepared to recombine if either mating fails.

It certainly is more complicated to get several frames with the queen than it is to get several frames without the queen though!:rolleyes: I hate queen finding in my dark bees!
The reason for my question was that I had a very angry queenless hive, that I split down to 3 nuc's. I ordered 3 queens that arrived 5 days later. When I went to put queens in the 3 Nuc's 1 had almost no bee's. They decided between the other 2 Nuc thus leaving me with a spare queen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts