Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a combination of reasons, I have decided that beekeeping just isn't for me. I want to do whatever I need to do to have the bees leave the hives so I can reclaim the equipment. How exactly can I do this?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry that it is not working out for you. If your getting out of the biz, I would just sell my hives bees and all trust me I would buy them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I failed to mention that, in my limited opinion, the hives are not strong and I wouldn't want to sell them intact given their status.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
My question would be why do you want the equipment and not the bees? If it is to sell, you could probably get a better price selling the hives AND the bees. Another option is to find someone in your area that is a beekeeper that has extra equipment and just do a frame exchange with them. I am sure they would want the bees...I know I would.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
838 Posts
how many hives do you have and what are you wanting for them??

If you are not interested in beekeeping why are you just wanting to get rid of the bees and keep the wooden ware??:scratch:

G3

·
Registered
110 Posts
contact your local beekeeping club either sell the hives out right or donate them to the club to help start a youngster in beekeeping-as far as getting them leave-ain't gonna happen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the quick replies...

To clarify, I don't think the bees themselves are in great shape. I've spent close to $1,000 in the past year trying out my hand at beekeeping and realize now that after losing both my hives last year and seeing the same patterns emerging again this year that I'm ready to cut my loses. Financially, I would like to be able to sell the wooden ware and other equipment that I purchased to at least recoup some of my costs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You will get a better price if you sell WITH THE BEES. Even if they are sub-par performing. As long as they are queenright, there is going to be a buyer.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Figure out what you want to get out of EVERYTHING and throw a price out there. I would start on here and there are other avenues for selling beekeeping supplies and hives. Does not make sense to let the bees go, someone else might want a "project" whether or not the bees make it past that point is not your problem, you were honest up front.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The "old timers' firmly believe that the source of disease is unused equipment. Get them inspected, and if needed cured, and then sell bees and equipment. If they are not doing well. it may be because of disease. Removing the bees will only encourage other bees to rob them out, spreading any disease.

Roland

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
For a combination of reasons, I have decided that beekeeping just isn't for me. I want to do whatever I need to do to have the bees leave the hives so I can reclaim the equipment. How exactly can I do this?
Do it the old fashioned way. Dig a pit, burn some sulfur in it. Place the hives in the pit first and that will kill the bees.

Or you could shake bees in front of one hive combining all of your colonies together. Then put all of the brood in as few boxes as you can and put them on the remaining colony. Sell that one and the equipment.

Or, do nothing and next spring you probably won't have any live colonies to deal w/.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too am in Moseley. I sent you a PM with my number. Give me a call and lets see whats going on with them or maybe I can help you in any way I can, what ever you decide to do.
Big T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts