Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I went to a Beginners bee class yesterday. I really enjoyed it and met some really nice people.Met one guy who lives close that I hope will mentor me some.

Heres my question, I want to run all mediums 10 frame. Everyone of the bee keepers at the class are running the reg set up. One or two deep hive bodies for brood and med. or shallow honey supers. If I wanted to sell nucs one day, would the buyer be able to put the medium frames in their deep box with deep frames beside the mediums and eventually remove the mediums as the bees spread out. I know I know I am thinking way too far into the future but, there seems to be a huge demand for bees. I think you could make more money selling bees than honey. They told us in the class registerd bee keepers was up 41% in the past two years. That is an incredible increase.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi, John
I ask myself the same question. I prefer all mediums myself, but have a bunch of deep brood boxes I use and all deep nucs. I have used med frames of brood or honey or even emptys into a deep brood box upon occasion for different reasons. The bees just build comb below the bottom bar of the med - mostly drone brood. I don't think anyone wanting to extablish deep hive brood boxes would want to put all mediums into their deeps.
So, if you plan to sell nucs, make deep nucs to sell and keep whatever deep frames you may have limited to nuc making. Or, try some medium nucs and see if you can make sales to people like us who like all medium boxes. I wish when I started, someone had been touting all med boxes and had med nucs available. As it was, I purchased many deeps and deep nucs went into them. Later on, I bought packages and installed them into medium boxes. So there's another thought - sell packages.
I think the bottom line is - Whatever you want to work will work, if you seek out the direction to make it work and don't let other systems divert your effort.
Best wishes for your beekeeping future.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Well, where to begin? I guess, to answer your question in my own way, why don't you just sell the whole super as a nuc? Then the beekeeper can just super above it and go from there, w/ another medium or deep or whatever.

Why do you want to just use mediums? Are you concerned that deeps would be too heavy to deal w/?

Do not, do not sell a 5 frame medium nuc to someone who wants to put it in their deep box. Then again, why do I care? If someone wants medium combs w/ comb built below because they stuck them in a deep box, no skin off my nose. Just seems kinda dumb to me. But that's probably just me having experienced that sorta mess while doing Apiary Inspection.

Are you serious Ross?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You don't even have to remove the medium frames, the bees just build comb on the bottoms to match the deeps.
Are you serious Ross?
During the 70s and 80s, I ran 2 deeps, with medium honey supers. Once, I dropped a medium frame into a deep box intending for it to be temporary (I often ran 9 frames in 10 frame boxes so I had extra room), but instead I forgot about it. Sure enough, one day checking it I realized my mistake when I pulled it out and the bees had built comb on the bottom. I had that frame circulating for years through out my bees, always intending to remove it but never finding the ideal time. I guess everytime I pulled it out it was probably full of eggs/grubs/brood. Never caused me any problems except it reminded me of my memory lapse, time, after time, after time again.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!! I know I am getting ahead of myself. But, I always try to think ahead and plan things out. They don't always go as planned but, you have to start somewhere. I would like to have about 10 hives and sell any extra splits I end up with each year.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Good thing that you didn't try to put it back into a medium super.

Lots of time, when i found medium frames in deep supers, the comb on the bottoms of the medium frames was built cross comb. What a mess it was trying to manipulate these frames. Especially when I didn't know what I was getting when I pulled the frames out of a deep super, only to find that they were medium frames w/ comb built across from frame to frame. One frame isn't so bad, but a bunch often causes problems.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
>I want to run all mediums 10 frame. Everyone of the bee keepers at the class are running the reg set up. One or two deep hive bodies for brood and med. or shallow honey supers. If I wanted to sell nucs one day, would the buyer be able to put the medium frames in their deep box with deep frames beside the mediums and eventually remove the mediums as the bees spread out.

If you want to sell nucs, one day, then get some deep boxes to put the nucs in. Eight frame deeps don't weigh so much, nor do five frame deeps.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
johng,
pace yourself son. Learn and grow accordingly. Nothing wrong w/ thinking, but you are quite a bit cart before the horse here.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were a couple reasons for wanting all mediums. One was weight. The other was the idea of only having to worry about having one size box. I know I would have to sell more frames to make up the difference, compared to a regular deep.

I was just thinking if I ever even thought about selling any bees it would be better to always have the same size brood frames. That way you could move frames from one hive to another if you needed to. I was just thinking it would make things simpler to use just one size. I have read Mr. Bushes web site it makes a lot of since to me. Just like a owning a fleet of cars if they are the same kind you only have to keep one kind of oil filter. Does that make since or am I thinking to much into it??

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
They told us in the class registerd bee keepers was up 41% in the past two years. That is an incredible increase.
It is so hard to keep bees alive these days I predict the bulk of these "newbees" will be "hadbees" in short order and be selling their moth eaten equipment rather than buying nucs from you. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I started out in double deeps. Most of my colonies are 1 deep and 2 mediums for a brood chamber. A brood chamber in a deep isn't too heavy but a deep full of honey gets bolted to the earth!

dickm

·
Registered
323 Posts
Some of the terminology used in beekeeping is somewhat confusing to me!
However; from what I understand a "NUC" is no more than a cut down standard lang. box to accept, say 5 frames. Full of bees.

So what would one call a standard 9/10 frame lang. deep, for sale with bees in it (from a split or a swarm) :scratch:

It would seem to be a good way to get rid of deeps if going to all mediums :scratch:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
...from what I understand a "NUC" is no more than a cut down standard lang. box to accept, say 5 frames. Full of bees.

So what would one call a standard 9/10 frame lang. deep, for sale with bees in it (from a split or a swarm):
Since I buy 10 frame medium nucs, I'd call it a 10 frame deep nuc.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
The bees just build comb below the bottom bar of the med - mostly drone brood.
complete BS, and yes I am serious. The bees won't build any more drone than they would otherwise in the brood nest, and they don't cross comb unless you fail to keep your frames at standard 10 frame spacing in the brood nest. I run all foundationless. I don't get more drone doing that either. Comb on the bottom of the frame is just as good as comb in the frame as far as the bees are concerned. Once it hardens a few weeks, you can work it just the same. And, with all the people going to all mediums, you just might find a ready market for medium nucs. I find deep nucs a pain.

·
Registered
383 Posts
all i will buy is med nucs. here in ohio all med boxes seems to be the norm. we have several beekeepers selling med 5 frame nucs and doing quite well with it. i wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
JohnG-

Read through George Imirie's "Pink Pages". He was a master beekeeper with over 70 years experience. He addresses hives using all mediums. It might help you make a decision on which way to go.

I believe someone just posted an indexed set of the "Pink Pages" on this forum.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts