Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two hives with a split in late July and installed a BeeWeaver queen.
NO problems The BW queen does not seem to lay as well as the Baton Rogue queen but it was the end of the season.
Worked the bees with long sleeves, pants and surgical gloves. Easy going bees.

Month ago I flipped double deep boxes on each hive. Bottom box heavy and top box lite in weight. Lots of bees and brood. Both hive a mean.
I got back into town 3 weeks later and went to ck bees for swarming and the BR box is full of bees but calm and workable.

The BW box has gotten really mean and gotten meaner this weekend. Since they were mad last month and I was stung more than all last year. I had heavy long sleeve shirt jeans and coveralls to do the inspection. Bees kept stinging thru the jeans last month and were all over the hood too.

I did the one hive no problem regular calm. I opened the BW queen / used smoke and pulled the first frame and had 100 bees trying to sting me. It was bad I had them up the pants and sting all thru the netting. I had to go to the house and tape the pants and put on a hat and such to keep the veil from touching me. I had bees follow me out 100 yards to the mail box the first time and the second time they were all over me and hit the dogs and I had a few still around 20 minutes later.

Yesterday I pushed the super back straight 1/2 inch and had bees bubbling out of the hive and had 15 or 20 right on me.

Is it common to have a hive turn mean and stay mean? I have seen the hive have a bad day but not to this extent to go from easy going to bad. Hard to walk around the hive with out having pissed off bees. They do not bump you they are in full attack mode.

Could a feral queen move in in August with a late after swarm? In July I had a feral queen try to get into the other hive but when I opened the ball the hive killed her quick. Big yellow queen while mine are smaller and dark.

Any other suggestions on what to do quickly/ Requeen and wait it out? or

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
324 Posts
Use lots of smoke. Take your time. Blow smoke all around the hive and over the top, not so much down into the combs. If they are that bad, use a real beesuit with a flannel shirt underneath for extra protection. Bee gloves.

You reversed the boxes. Maybe that upset them; however, sounds like you should requeen with a more gentle strain, so put queen excluder above the first box to determine queen location...thus reducing the search. Or you can make split(s) to reduce number of bees in hive. Have fun!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I’m not sure why this post re appeared if you reposted but your queen was likely superseded or swarmed there’s a lot of post on here suggesting a common theme that the f1 bw queens can turn nasty. This happened to me last year I’m from about the same area.
Definitely requeen it’s not you or your technique I have about a dz hives and most I could work with a vail only but I got two that don’t give two ... about smoke they are out to kill as soon as you pop the lid off. Needless to say they are both queenless right now.
I’ve seen several videos of people showing how to work mean bees and they are almost comical because their mean bees are like my nice bees.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The meaning of the last part I guess is I feel your pain and if you only have two hives and they are both mean people may suggest a list of handling technique or environmental factors but down here sometimes it’s just the bees I’m willing to bet most of the feral drones have some genetics maybe a small percentage but some nonetheless from ahb.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
BW queens may contain africanised genetics, and they do admit to this on their web page. Last time i looked at it anyway.

If you requeened in fall, odds are you still had good quantities of the old queens bees in the hive right into winter, which would have had a calming effect on the hive. But now they are pretty much gone and it's just the BW bees.

There have been plenty of complaints about aggressive BW bees, you are not alone. There are other people who had queens from them which were nice gentle bees, so getting queens from them is a crap shoot.

Not impossible they have requeened either, as per the other posts. You are surrounded by some aggressive genetics and only sure way to keep your hives well behaved is regular requeening with mated queens purchased from a breeder of gentle bees.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the same problem from the same Queen supplier. Tried three different times. They are no longer in my supplier list and the last remaining hive with their genetics is getting broken down into mating nucs soon as I get some queen cells to put in them.
Always have to work them last and always have so many stingers stuck in my jeans that it looks like a carpet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts