Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pulled the majority of the supers but left 1 on top of each hive because our area is in severe drought. Not sure if we will see much from the goldenrod flow.

There is some drone brood in these supers. What I am thinking of doing is putting a half dose of mite-away quick strips on top of the whole hive and then moving to OAV treatments.

My thinking is that this may knock down some of the mites under the cappings. I don't want to stress the hives out too much as the winter bees are being made now.

Or should I also put a strip on top of the double brood chamber?

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
What I am thinking of doing is putting a half dose of mite-away quick strips on top of the whole hive and then moving to OAV treatments.

My thinking is that this may knock down some of the mites under the cappings. I don't want to stress the hives out too much as the winter bees are being made now.

Any Thoughts?
if you mean putting one pad on,our theory is the one pad method using either these or the pro's is that it doesn't kill the mites under the cappings, we use it to knock the mites back until we can do a full treatment. if you treat with a second pad at
10 day's you do get a lot of the mites, but not if you have a significant infection. people that didn't treat this spring, and treated in early aug because it was to hot in july are treating a 2nd time because the mites were still to high.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I am a little disappointed with the product right now did a treatment 3 weeks ago and all ready seeing some 7/8 numbers

·
Registered
615 Posts
How safe are these strips during a flow. As opposed to Trin, we've been having quite a few early evening thunderstorms and getting plenty of rain overnight with clean morning. I think we're deep in the knapweed as the girls are bringing back a lot of white pollen in the morning and foraging like rockets the rest of the day. My wife and I walked the dog into nearby field last night before the rain and saw a lot of goldenrod budding up so I'm expecting a decent flow very shortly. I have three supers on both of the hives that were not quite ready for harvest last weekend. I'd like to treat for Varroa now but OAV is out of the question at this point, can I go with the Formic Strips during the flow with near full supers on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts