Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question for Michael Bush or anyone else who has experience with 1-1/4" frames (11 frames per standard 16-1/4" 10 frame super).

I am modifying 1-3/8" deep frame parts to assemble 1-1/4" frames.

Thick part of sidebars has been trimmed from 1-3/8" down to 1-1/4" (1/16" removed from each side).

Top bar has been trimmed to 15/16" from 1-1/16" (1/16" removed from each side) so that the space between topbars will be maintained at 5/16"

My question is regarding the 'thin' lower section of the sidebar. These are currently 1" wide below the abbutting upper section. This will mean that a space that was originally intended to be 3/8" wide has been reduces to 1/4". Is this OK or is it important to also trim 1/16" of either side of the lower half of the sidebars to maitain the lower sidebar space at 3/8"?

My question is not so much regarding whether it is worth the trouble to trim that additional 1/16" section as it is regarding what the ideal sidebar-to-sidebar space is at the lower area. Trimming another 1/16" from the area where the sidebar joins the bottom bar may weaken that joint and it is not clear to me that a full 3/8" is needed in that area, as 1/4" should be plenty for any bee including the queen to pass through. Any opinions or experience?

-fafrd

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
I have a lot of them that are only cut down on the end bars. They work fine. Would they be better if I trimmed them down 1/16" on each side? Yes. Will I ever get it done? Doubtful. It's on my list but it's near the bottom...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michael,

So just to be clear on your response, maintaining a full 3/8" space between the lower half of the sidebars is preferable to allowing that sidebar-to-sidebar space to be reduced to only 1/4" along the lower half of the frame, right?

-fafrd

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
I don't worry about the side bars, but it's always nice to maintain beespace. Not enough that I cut them down, but it would be nice if they were narrower all the way around. Some frames such as the HSC and a lot of homemade frames I've seen the end bars are solid with no scallop or gap in them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts