Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently through a deep hive body on top of two already existing hive bodies. I (probably stupidly) was thinking that if i put them on there that the bees would build out the frames and i could use them to help along my new five frame hive. My problem, and a good one, is that the bees build out about six of the frames with nothing but stored honey. My plans are going to be to extract the frames but I never wired the frames beyond the wired foundation that i installed. If i put these frames in an extractor, will they blow apart? Lastly, how much honey will i probably get?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes, you may be able to extract them without destroying them. But, you need to go real slow. I would not be surprised if you got a several qts of honey out of 6deeps

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Go slow and turn them several times and you will be fine.

About 7 pounds of honey per frame on a deep, I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. I will be extracting in about a week or so. When i looked at the frames they were not 100% capped yet. Hopefully in a week or so there will be more than 6 frames to extract. I'm pretty excited as this will be my first time getting honey as i started beekeeping last year.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
You'll get quite a bit of honey and even if you go slow, you might get a blowout so don't be terribly surprised. Bet it will taste good though!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You're ahead of the curve. At least you are aware of a blowout. My first extraction I let my daughter spin the extractor with all her might - and then wondered why my combs were warped and almost unusable! - Duh. But I patched them back in the frames and the bees fixed them. Maybe try rubber banding after you uncap - might be messy, but could hold the comb in place better.
Enjoy your harvest!
NBL

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I have no wire and no foundation and extract all the time. It's just a matter of starting slow and don't try to extract new white (soft) comb. If it's got a yellow tint to it, and you go slow, it should be fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have no wire and no foundation and extract all the time. It's just a matter of starting slow and don't try to extract new white (soft) comb. If it's got a yellow tint to it, and you go slow, it should be fine.
hmm, all mine is bright white. How long do you have to wait for it to harden in order to extract it. I'm assuming that i can pull it from the hive and chill it and it'll harden, am i right? ....hmm, that may just read as a completely stupid question!

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Chilling it will ensure a blowout! You want your extracting space to be in the eighties and go at a glacial pace until most of the honey is thrown out. Are you extracting with a radial or tangential? If it is tangential, be sure to follow Mr. Bush's admonition to change sides often.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was thinking that if i put them on there that the bees would build out the frames and i could use them to help along my new five frame hive...
One thing to consider, are you putting in frames with foundation. If the bees in your strong hive feel they have enough brood comb they may draw honey storage comb with larger size cell that may not be appropriate for brood frames in your 5-frame nuc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts