Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you combine two hives with the newspaper separator, I assume you provide the top box with at least a temporary entrance?

I'm thinking of combining a swarm (with queen) I hived in a single deep with another hive (a deep and a shallow) that I believe to be queenless- I'm inclined to just put the two boxes together and be done with it, but don't want to take the chance that the swarm queen will get a thrashing in the process.

Suggestions?

George-

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am a newbee but I did (with a beeman mentoring me) combine two separately caught swarms earlier this year. Used just one sheet of newspaper witn a couple of small nail holes in it. I was adised NOT to provide a seperate entrance. I opened it a couple of weeks later and all of the inside paper was gone, just the rim remained, and it is now my strongest hive.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
When I combine hives with newspaper, I lay the newspaper on top of the bottom hive, and then place the hive to be combined on top of that. I don't provide an entrance for the one on top. Have never had any problems doing that.
Don't just put them together because the hive with the queen will thrash the hive that doesn't have one. The queenless hive will eagerly accept the queen, but the queen's hive may not accept the queenless workers.

peggjam

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy, that sounds just wrong but then I'm the one asking the questions here

It's going to be HOT tommorow- in the high 90's I've heard. I just can't see putting a two-box hive on top of a piece of newspaper to cook without any ventilation even. There's an inner cover with the little slot in it, but that isn't much.

Do you specifically WANT to confine the bees in their box when doing a newspaper combine? Does that give them incentive to chew away the paper, gasping for breath, clawing and gnashing at it?

George-

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
George:

Your tooooo funny. The general idea of confining the bees is so they won't return to their old location. If it really bothers you, you could rig a screened entrance so they will have venitation but can't leave the hive.

peggjam

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactilickily peggjam! I just caught up with someone in the chatroom... they said upper entrance, no. Upper ventilation, sure. The idea is that the bees need to be confined.. just not suffocated

Ironically, the 2 hives I'm combining are sitting 12" apart right now... this will be easy. Perhaps too easy...

Thanks Peggjam!

George-

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
When you combine with the news paper watch for some "fuzz" on the landing board, that will bee the paper they have carried out, I have a small bottle ot that I use when I give bee talks and offer anyone a bottle of honey if the can guess what it is

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"When you combine with the news paper watch for some "fuzz" on the landing board..."

Oh Far Out. Good Tip. Also, it just dawned on me that if I do the box shuffle during the day, the foragers in the field will be coming back and trying to enter the bottom (queenright) half of the combine. I dunno if this is a problem, but I think I'll do the combine this evening just to be on the safe side.

George-

George-

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a done deal. The bottom deep of the queenless hive is sitting on the queenright hive body and the second deep of the queenless hive is sitting on top of another queenless hive that is about to hatch a queen cell.

What could possibly go wrong

Thanks for all the info,

George-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts