Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to rescue a hive from a tree to be cut down they were in a 12"x12" x24"tall squirl house and I cut them out and put them in a medium. My question is they are a strong Hive of at least 4-5# of bees they had enough honey to fill 4 frames full and I put it in with all the bees and there extra empty comb. I just don't think it is near enough to get them through and should I combine them with my other hive that is good and strong with at least 60# honey stores or will the new bees just deplete the other hive? Or should I bring this hive home and dry sugar feed all winter I can put them up against a bright sunny wall and moniter them better at home. Thanks for any in put. John

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
John, i'm in SW Mo. and the nights are cold enough and some daytime temp. are cold enough to make them cluster. I would feed them fondant or the mountain camp method. Being a feral colony you don't know what kind of issues your submitting to your good colony if you combine. Also if they only had 4 frames of honey and the colony was 4 to 5lbs of bees that would put a strain on the hive with 60lbs of honey if you combine, and you would have a queen issue also. Good luck. Jack

·
Registered
939 Posts
Placing them into a super or two will be alright. Add a few empty frames along side to lay down the "Mountain Camp" feeding method for sugar. I'd leave them alone and check in on them periodically weather permiting. Don't expose them to other bees honey, could cause robbing. Next Spring, if you can, carefully start removing the outer shell of the squirrel house. This may be messy, however, it'll encourage them to grow into their new surroundings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts