Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been informed by a friend that when cutting out comb and placing it in frames to go into a langstroth hive the comb needs to be positioned exactly as it was or the queen will not lay in that comb again after the brood is hatched.
Has anyone experienced this also?

This is my first post even though I have been a member for 2 years. Thank you all for the learning experience you share with us. I still consider myself a "bee haver" instead of a "beekeeper".

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Huh? Can't say that I have, and that doesn't make sense to me? What was their reasoning that she wouldn't lay again in them? I have never experienced this, in the numerous cut out combs not positioned as they came out (sometimes it just doesn't happen based upon their size), but sure the idea is to keep them next to one another as they came out, just like you would do with your comb/frames in the hive. In my experience, the workers attach the comb to the frame, & clean any cells needed, & something is put in the comb., eggs, honey, etc.,

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Comb as built by bees is at approximately a 15 degree angle off level - meaning the open ends are tilted UP slightly. Obviously, if you are putting cutout comb in frames, you would keep it oriented the same way.

It is possible that your friend was referring to 'Housel' positioning. That is a somewhat controversial topic at Beesource, (just search for 'housel' :rolleyes:) but I have yet to see any convincing evidence that it will make any difference at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts