Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone gets upset, yes i did a search for it, and the results didn't answer my question.

I have 1 colony that has 2 deeps on it. I started out with a nuc, and when they built up to 8th frame i placed a second deep on it thinking they would continue to make brood up there in the second deep.
Nope they didn't. They drew out the natural comb foundationless, and proceeded to fill it with honey.

Meanwhile, they still bred, and are very prolific. Yesterday i had to rob a brood frame plus food frame from the bottom deep to give some bees i harvested from a cutout something to supercede a queen from.

When i removed the top deep full of honey, the bees boiled out of that bottom deep as soon as i removed the first frame and they covered the sides, top of frames, and flying around. Looked into the hive and bees covered every inch of the comb inside. Tons of bees. I am worrying about a swarm now.

Anyway, why is it they didn't move up into the second deep, and can i force a move up there or do i need to split this hive up?

What caused them to not move up and start a second deep of brood.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Sounds like the upper one is honeybound. You could pyramid up some brood... depending on how many frames of brood you have (sounds like plenty of frames of bees), take a couple brood frames up into the center of the upper box. As long as there are enough bees to cover them, as well as the brood left below (push the rest of the broodnest together and replace the spaces you took out with honey on the sides), it'll draw bees up into the next box.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok thanks, i am dreading this as yesterday the girls in that box were really pmsy!!!!!!

Uhmm what caused them to get honey bound, and one more question. Does this phenomena happen if they put honey in the top of the frame and brood below the honey. I suspect that if its got honey in the top of a frame that would prevent the queen from moving up too.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
It happens when they don't have enough comb and a strong flow is on; their drive to store nectar just outstrips their available storage/broodrearing space. Kinda like when it's friday after work and you've just brought home a ton of beer for the fishing trip, then your wife brings home a carload of groceries, looks in the full fridge and gives you the crusty eye :). It's normal for honey to be over brood (typically after a band of pollen). You just need more drawn comb; undersuper with a box of foundation if that's all you have or empty comb if you have it.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Put another empty box under or between the two boxes you have now. Then put 3 or 4 honey supers on top.

What caused them to not move up and start a second deep of brood.

They had a nectar flow on and you forgot to give them any honey storage space. Since they didn't have any honey supers, they used the brood box for honey storage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Kinda like when it's friday after work and you've just brought home a ton of beer for the fishing trip, then your wife brings home a carload of groceries, looks in the full fridge and gives you the crusty eye :).
this has to be the best example i have ever read of what is happening. of coarse having put myself in this very same predicament on several occasions i can definitely relate. nothing should get between mama and her space to do her thing :no:, only reasonable answer is to add more storage for yourself via another fridge out in the garage :lpf:

beebiker

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
they dont always do what we want them to do, sometimes we have to lead them. You need to create some more space for them before they swarm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts