Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a hive that is lingering in there. It is 3 mediums tall, does not have a lot of resources, there is not a lot of brood about 5 frames total, and the cells are older and look polished clean.
It looks like they are in the center of the hive, and I am fairly certain that queen needs replacement. :rolleyes: But there are a few eggs in there so she is still laying. At this time I have no extra queens to put in the hive.:s Dug around looking for the queen but I really stink at finding queens. REALLY STINK. :scratch: But the good thing is that this hive never has had problems with SHB to this point. Will look to see if I can save a few hatching eggs to try to make some grafts.

But not far away I have a double nuc that is fixing to explode. It has 8 frames of mostly capped brood and some uncapped brood :eek: and the other two frames are partly capped brood. I was about to try to make another queen castle with these capped brood as the fall flow is starting soon.

Anyone see an issue with stacking another nuc on this double and fill it with some of the drawn comb from the first hive and let this queen go to town.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
If you have a queen, they will fight it out. Which one will win? I would do two things. One, take away a box on the weak hive. Two, steal some capped brood frames from the nuc and give them to the weak hive. That may give them the boost they need to get over the hump. If that doesn't work after a few weeks. You can find the queen and kill her, then combine. Or kill her and give them a frame of eggs from the nuc to raise a queen. There is still plenty of time in Texas to raise a queen.

On the nuc, with 8 frames well populated, you can promote it to a 10 frame box now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts