Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first year bee keeper. I got two two lb packages in April, and three three frame deep nucs in early June. I was advised the packages should build to two deeps easily but doubtful on honey since they had to build out all new comb. The htree nucs were late as our spring didn't allow for queens to be raised and I was advised that hopefully they would build out the two deeps but may need feed to help. Our main flow is supposed to start about summer solstice and last a month.
Apparently my bees don't read or talk to the experts
I have one package that has filled two medium supers to the point of building honey comb between the inner and outer cover, I added a third honey super today.
I have one nuc that has filled and capped one super completely so I added another one today, I have two nucs that are built out 10 full on both deeps so I gave them supers too.
I assume my neighbours irrigated alfalfa fields are the reason for the nectar, I know the bees are getting pollen from the sunflowers.
My question after all that is , how late is it safe to add supers, we will see first frost in early October. Do I keep adding till temps go down? If so to what?
thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm a newbee too, and I also started with packages. I kept adding boxes as each box was filled until they stopped drawing comb out in the new frames (those ones were taken back off). One hive filled up 6 boxes (3 brood boxes, 3 honey supers) the other 5 (3 broods, 2 honey) and I also made several splits off them. It was a banner spring flow here, which is usually all we get, but I saw some orange pollen coming in today, so I'm wondering what will happen if I put the supers back on...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am a first year bee keeper. I got two two lb packages in April, and three three frame deep nucs in early June. I was advised the packages should build to two deeps easily but doubtful on honey since they had to build out all new comb. The htree nucs were late as our spring didn't allow for queens to be raised and I was advised that hopefully they would build out the two deeps but may need feed to help. Our main flow is supposed to start about summer solstice and last a month.
Apparently my bees don't read or talk to the experts
I have one package that has filled two medium supers to the point of building honey comb between the inner and outer cover, I added a third honey super today.
I have one nuc that has filled and capped one super completely so I added another one today, I have two nucs that are built out 10 full on both deeps so I gave them supers too.
I assume my neighbours irrigated alfalfa fields are the reason for the nectar, I know the bees are getting pollen from the sunflowers.
My question after all that is , how late is it safe to add supers, we will see first frost in early October. Do I keep adding till temps go down? If so to what?
thanks
If they dont cut the flowering alfalfa, the flow should continue till first frost. Sounds normal compared to my experience with 2lb packages. Alfalfa is a very good nectar source once the bees build to critical mass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts