Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walt,

I've been reading through various of your articles on Checkerboarding, including the May 2006 article from Bee Culture.

In that article, you state that: "The CB/NM colonies requeen themselves on an annual basis, and it’s free. "

Maybe I missed something, in which case I apologize, but could you please explain why checkerboarding casues supersedure and/or point to any of your articles that makes that relationship clear?

thanks in advance,

-fafrd

p.s. I obviously would welcome input from anyone else besides Walt that knows the answer to this question as well...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the other thread on checkerboading and the link to MB's website, I tink I've found the anwer to my question. In Walt's own words as presented by MB:

"I'm more inclined to "suspect" the increased brood volume achieved by checker boarding (CB) puts the queen in a strain to keep up. The colony, sensing the queen has trouble with the increased demand, elects to SS at, or shortly after, repro cut off. Pure speculation - and not for general distribution."

Any additional comments appreciated if anyone has anything else to add (especially experience with Checkerbording and Supersedure).

-fafrd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts