Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you consider the latest time for making a split? Wanted to do one a month or so ago....but, life got in the way! memtb

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
probably right about now. If you have a queen ready to introduce, all the better.

There is the school of thought that making splits after solstice is the way to go for making over-wintering nucs.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that watching drone cells is the best way to judge when to make a split. If a hive is not making drones they do not have resources coming in or it is to early in the year for a split. If the hives are making drones I think a split has a better chance of working. I dont have lots of years of experience to back up this method, but it seems to work and be reasonable as long as you dont have dragon flies eating queens or other environmental factors.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have tried the "July 4th" splitting per the OTS writings several times.
Not working in my location.

They don't build up enough if left as-is.
These July splits should be recombined back for wintering (around the better queens).
With this consideration, heck, you can still split in July - but focusing on the new queen making.

So for about 2 weeks is still OK time to split for a stand-alone unit.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You're a little bit north of me, but we are both in a high desert. Your climate is 4B, while mine is 6B, but I'd guess you are still OK to make a split. I had August splits come through last winter.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
We are still well watered here for a change but it is plenty early here. As the man said, lots of drones being produced. If you feed and supply pollen patties, you can split after the honey flow dries us which it does for me in July in my dryland location. But I only get 12 inches of precipitation including snow here.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
637 Posts
6a high desert Sisters Oregon- I successfully over wintered a August 15th swarm in 1/2 of a resource hive (about 1.5 pounds of bees). Dropped 3 full deep frames of honey over their heads, fed ProSweet throughout fall, insulated, pushed them up against a boomer and fed fondant. Figured their chance was better with me then in the wild that late.

For my overwintering nucs, I'm going for sometime in July, probably late since it's such a late year. As another poster mentioned, after the summer solstice. Will be using resource hives again. I've heard MP talk about making these up. You don't want too much build up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts