Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my package of bees yesterday and installed them, and was happy to get home from work today to find that they hadn't run out on me. I got all set up to get in there and remove the queen cage only to discover that she still wasn't out. About how long does it usually take for the bees to get her out of there? Also, how long till I should expect to see some comb being drawn out on the frames?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I waited a day then my patience ran out and I release her. Did open releases after that. But I would think a couple days to eat thru the candy.

They will start building comb immediately. Make sure you feed them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
There should be some "candy" in the hole. I'd bet that during transport/shipping they (the bees) have already accepted her. I'd turn her loose... Cut the screen or work the "candy plug" out and put the queen cage back in the hive with the candy hole facing down.

Be carefull, I have heard many stories about beeks opening the queen cage, for only to have her fly away! Then, you would find yourself in a pickle!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I always let them eat throu the candy and have never hade a problem It normaly takes 3-4 days fer them to release her. You can spped up the release by pushing a nail through the candy, but be careful not to stab the queen. Some queen cages have a cork at the top of the cage opposite the candy. On a direct release I doe this and lay her in the bottom of the box. I have never had one fly off this way.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I have heard many stories about beeks opening the queen cage, for only to have her fly away!
Just bee cool boyzs and girlzs and let the bees let her out and you wont have to worry about her flying away.

Dont worry bee happy :popcorn:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with the last comment. I would resist opening for about 2 weeks. It can take several days for them to eat through the candy. You can sit and watch the bees coming and going, and in two weeks you will be surprised at the comb built out and can check for larva, eggs, etc.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
i'm gonna go against the grain one time and say look at her one more time and make SURE you pulled the cork so that the candy can be eaten..LOL. If not, she may never get out.....almost made that mistake on my first package. Luckily, i found BS, and read the directions they sent with them....LOL>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts