Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Plymouth and in my garden my forsythnias have bloomed and some dandelions have started to bloom but I havent seen this in any of the surrounding towns. My bee club says when the dandelions bloom get the supers on but it was in the 30s last week and we had a snow flurry. I decided to wait to let the bees be able to stay warm. Perhaps i live in a microclimate but i have two really really strong hives and i was wondering if i should go ahead and split these now instead of waiting till the end of April/early May or should i reverse and add supers instead? The weather this week is in the 40s with 60F this weekend?

Cheers!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am 30 miles northeast of you. No Forsythia or dandelions. The weather can still be iffy this time of year. Also, the forecast is not that good for this week anyway.

·
Registered
297 Posts
forsythia is just starting to peak up near the NH line. Swamp maples started a week ago and I bet skunk cabbage is up and running. No dandelions yet but that's probably because most of the lawns up here are under water with 2-3 more inches expected by tomorrow night:eek:. Crazy March.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dandelions bloom about 8 to 10 days after the forsythia, and that is just the beginning of dandelion bloom, not the peak. So as someone said you still have a little time from your forsythia bloom date to add supers, and i would say even more to split. i doubt you could do both as one has to choose between honey (supers) or bees (split to increase hive numbers).
good luck

·
Registered
854 Posts
Half an hour away. Dandelions, pussywillows, skunk cabbage, etc. in bloom. Am reversing the hives whose clusters are on top to the bottom this weekend. Started feeding one month ago. Because of the abnormal amount of rain, and more to come next week, am expecting an early and plentiful swarm season. Will do my splits late April, early May this year. OMTCW

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CH & OF
Thanks for your advice! 14 inches of rain this month with 6" in the last couple of days...finally we have some decent weather coming that i can check on the bees this weekend. I wasnt sure when to start considering splits but i can take a look and reverse this weekend. The weather lows are projected to be in the low 40s for all of next week which should be ok for reversals.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hives must be strong enough to reverse. Inland MA, should reverse probably, but here on the coast am waiting a week or two more. OMTCW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts