Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the "English garden hive" from Brushy Mountain, all painted and ready to go, and my bees will be here within a month. Now I'm second-guessing my setup - I have a total of four boxes, will that be enough? When I install the package, should I start out with just one box or two? Any other tips are appreciated too! :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have a total of four boxes, will that be enough? When I install the package, should I start out with just one box or two? Any other tips are appreciated too! :)
Four boxes will be easily enough to start with. Four boxes may get you through your first year. My friends who order packages usually put the bees in a ten frame deep. Which is the equivalent of two eight frame mediums.

You will like the eight frame mediums. Wished I had started all eight frame mediums!

Shane

·
Registered
180 Posts
If it's 8 frame mediums, that's probably fine in your region. In my neck of the woods, the general rule is 5 8 frame mediums will get me through the winter.

That said, as tsmullins said, it will get you started but you may need another box or two for a honey super.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I've read, 3 lb. package into one medium box will be fine. That's my plan this spring except I'm using all foundationless.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, start with 1 box with 7 frames (with foundation if you are using it).
Then your inner cover.
Then a empty box which covers your jar(s) of sugar syrup.

In 3 days you check to be sure the queen is released, clean up any stray comb built around the queen cage, and insert the eighth frame.
Push the frames together, that is, leave any extra space to the outsides of frames 1 and 8.

The reason for starting with one box--which I think you were thinking -- keep the bees in a space they can heat and patrol.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I have a total of four boxes, will that be enough?

Maybe. For now. In the end you probably need eight for one hive.

>Yes, start with 1 box with 7 frames

Eight frame boxes have plenty of extra space. You won't need to take a frame out to put the queen cage in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts