Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how to winter an 8 frame medium hive after the second year with this being the first year honey harvest. I wintered last year with one box of brood and two boxes of honey and they did well.

This year I have five boxes currently on my hives. the top two are honey and the lower three are brood/honey combos. I am harvesting the top box of honey today and am wondering if I need to put the harvested box back on top again for them to fill or keep it off. Can I winter with 5 medium 8 frame boxes on a hive or will they not be able to keep warm?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I overwintered 2 new hives with 5-8 frame medium boxes last winter. They did fine. As a matter of fact ,they did not even come close to consuming all the "honey". I fed heavily until it got cold. They are going to cluster in the winter and that cluster will move on warm days to different areas of the hive. The areas of the hive that are not near the cluster are cold.

In the spring I extracted the "honey" they didn't consume and fed it to two new hives that I started and that would be fed most of the year anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts