Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering an Ultra Breeze, but I really don't like fencing veils. They have a tendency to lie against my face when I am in an awkward position under an eve doing a cutout or bending over near a hive. Sometimes, they blow back against my face when I'm not in an awkward position. I have been stung through these kinds of veils, so I stopped using them. But it seems the ultra breeze only comes with a fencing veil. For those of you who have one, does the veil ever rest against your face?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Yes. Usually against you chin. And I still love it.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
That does work, but in normal beekeeping hive management it is very rarely an issue.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
When I bend over the Sheriff veil does sometimes touch my chin. I wear a baseball hat and the veil never touches my face otherwise. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the Sheriff veil concept, it just depends on how well it is made. I like it because the veil isn't attached to my head, which makes it easier to move my head around when working the hives.

I've used my Ultrabreeze for 3 years and never been stung or have a bee enter the suit. But, I don't do cut outs, either.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The fencing veil on the UltraBreeze has stiffeners that make it more rigid than the PMTC, Mann Lake, or Dadant veils I have. So I would say it is less of a problem than typical. With any of the full suits, buy them big - if they are tight crotch to shoulder the veil gets pulled back toards your chin pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The veil is the weakest link in my opinion. I have an ultrabreeze jacket, and love the jacket, but have been disappointed in the veil. It is made of a plastic mesh and easily catches in things and tears. I have become tired of repairing it with window screen, and now wear the jacket with a Mann Lake plastic hat and wire veil combo.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
same here not a big fan of fencing veil. I use the kelley brand box veil with a ventilated hat. The veil kelley makes, not cheap chinese junk.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
You could call them up and see if you could just get the suit. I love the ultra breeze suit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, the fencing veil does occasionly get back against my chin, and I have been stung thru the veil on some of those occasions, normally when in an awkward position, or when the wind is blowing and I forget not to face the wind. I still like the jacket very much. I just don't think it's that much of a problem. I guess the ball cap would fix some of those problems, but in Texas in the summer, anything you wear, like a ball cap, will cause one to sweat more.
I have two, so when one gets sweat logged, I can change and let it dry out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the Mann Lake version purchased around 2011. I wear a wide brim baseball type hat under which does a good job keeping the veil away from my face.

Had the jacket on a couple of weeks ago in Arizona and noticed that the veil has developed some small tears along seams and small splits in random spots. I've only washed the veil a couple of times by hand and haven't subjected it to any abuse. Not happy that the veil is so vulnerable.

I had a 100% nylon jacket from Dadant for a long time that I loved. I loaned it for an emergency and never got it back. I would trade the one I have now for the nylon if Dadant still made it. The ultra breeze is pretty comfortable but not as comfortable as the nylon. The nylon wore a lot better, was a lot lighter and dried really quickly.

If anyone knows where I can get another nylon jacket, let me know!

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you wash your suit and veil in very soapy water and let it drip dry without rinsing, it will stiffen the veil just a little and the soap will keep all but the most aggressive bees off of you.
i do cutouts is SW Florida and wear a baseball hat under the veil. The sweat is better than a sting on the face.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It has a band that goes around your head that tends to keep it off your face. A baseball hat (or one of those brims without the hat) would help too, I suppose. I love them. I hate the helmet. You crawl under something with the fencing veil it works. You crawl under something with a pith helmet and it falls off... which is worse?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts