Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to transport a frame or two of open brood down to another neighborhood? It might be a half hour between removing from the hive and placing them into other hives. I don't want the brood to dry out or get chilled. Same goes for a frame with capped queen cell.

Seems like it would be best to do this with the nurse bees on the frame(s). Then, can these bees be put directly into other hives, one queenright and one queenless? Will they be accepted into the hives without too much damage to the bees?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I would leave the nurse bees on the frames. You can brush them off the frames then put the frames back into the home hive for a couple of minutes and the nurse bees will be back on the frames and foragers will probably not be there. I transport frames in a nuc with frame spacers so the frames don't slide together and crush bees or damage queen cells. Put the frames into the new hive with the nurse bees, there shouldn't be any problems. The nurse bees will keep everything warm and cozy during the transfer.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I would put them in a nuc with extra frames either with stores or foundation or blanks to fill the nuc, or otherwise immobilize the frames, then cover them with a board or cover and strap together. Yes, leave nurse bees on to go for the ride. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts