Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it have to covered with tin? Can I use aluminum?
Do I need metal in South Carolina?

Rick

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,562 Posts
Rick, I make my own telescoping covers. When I feel inclined, I cover them with aluminum roofing flashing from the big box store. I also try to put a piece of 1/2" insulation board inside the cover to help on those really hot days. A fair number of my most recent builds just have the primer and paint on them. They seem to be holding up pretty well so the metal is not really needed IMO.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hi Rick. Nothing says you have to cover it with metal, but it will last a lot longer if you do, even in SC. Use any metal you want that you can form properly. Most use aluminum or galvanized flashing. I would paint it white because they do get hot in the sun. Before you paint, sand lightly and de-grease. Dawn dish soap works fine. If you don't prep properly, the paint will peel off in no time. J

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am making my own woodenware and haven't actually started keeping bees; I will start in the spring.
I'm trying to learn and understand as much as I can.
Thanks again.

Rick

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,562 Posts
Welcome to the passion. When starting out, I recommend that you also stay with standard dimension when making your own hives and components. Internet plans are often designed to maximize the usage from a sheet of plywood and not give you the interchagability needed as your apiary grows. I copy all my stuff from the hives I bought from Brushy Mountain before they went under.

Depending on how big you want to become, building hives and frames keeps many beekeepers busy in the winter. It is what we do while dreaming of spring.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I prefer to use aluminium sheeting (ex scrapped caravan/trailer) whenever I can source it, cutting it with ordinary garden secateurs and folding into shape by hand. The stuff which has slight corrugations is a bit trickier to work with than the flat stuff.

But - I've used PVC supermarket 'special offer' banners from time to time, which seems to be holding up ok. That material is a lot easier and quicker to attach to the cover than ally.
LJ

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am making my own woodenware and haven't actually started keeping bees; I will start in the spring.
I'm trying to learn and understand as much as I can.
Thanks again.

Rick
With the exception of boxes ( cheaper to buy than to make) i build all my own bases/inner covers/outer covers/ snelgrove boards/ cloake boards/robbing screens/ nuc boxes etc
-> FAR cheaper and quite fun actually. I use a roll of aluminium flashing from hardware store
-> for 80bucks i have made dozens of outer covers and robbing screens and still have a ton of the original roll of flashing left.

I can make an outer cover for about 4 dollars. Much cheaper than spending 20+ purchasing them. Im at 38 hives and 15 nucs at the moment.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Cover with what you want. Can you beat Galvanized steel ?? We recycle the metal with new wood. The most common year being recycled is 1937.

Crazy Roland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts