Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm leaning toward TBH's and need package bees, I'm trying to find a good supplier near Oklahoma. Does anybody know anything (good or bad) about Long Lane Honey Bee Farms in Fairmount, IL? Or any other bee package suppliers who are in or ship to OK?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have some beekeep friends who order packages out of Arkansas. Jester Bee is the name of the apiary. TBHs are fun to tinker with but Langs are the workhorse of the industry for a reason. If you want maximum honey harvests, use the Lang. If your summers are hot, as mine are, TBH combs will melt, fall from the frame and make a huge mess unless kept in the shade and this practice increases chances of large SHB populations. I'm not saying TBHs are not the way to go, just be aware of what the pitfalls are. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Welcome, Jessibennet! You'll find this site to be a treasure trove of helpful information.

Regarding package bees, I've had real good luck with B. Weaver, in Navasota, TX. They ship to Missouri, and should ship to OK. http://www.beeweaver.com/
Also R. Weaver likewise in Navasota. There are bound to be others as well. There should be a beekeeper's association in Oklahoma City, and you ought to get some helpful information from that group of folks as well.
Good luck!
Steven

·
Registered
8 Posts
Long Lane Honeybee Farm Gets all of my business and I have never been disappointed. David and Sherri are wonderful people who will always make time to answer your questions.:thumbsup:

Sarge74

·
Registered
67 Posts
In Oklahoma, I am aware of:
George's Apiary located in Noble, Oklahoma. They have a web page.

Carl Harrison in Tulsa will set you up with a Nuc Hive. He also sells equipment. He does not have a web page. His ph# is 918 425-2026.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here is one more...
Lloyd Ziegler, Mannford area 918 850-3820

Also try a search on the Oklahoma State Beekeepers Association web page.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't have anything bad to say about Long Lane. I ordered my first packages from them in 2008. They actually came from Gardiners in Ga. The first package absconded 3 days after I hived them and Sheri worked to get me a replacement at the end of the package season. Yes I paid for it, but it wasn't their fault the bees flew away. I don't know if they are selling their own stock now or not, but I purchased a queen from them last August and within about 8 weeks her offspring drew and filled a medium super. I was very pleased. I like doing business with them and will continue to do so.
BB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts