Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built several with 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth. Is this too large or will it work ok? Do you see any problems with using that size? Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
717 Posts
Bees squeeze thru #5 (holes-per-inch), used for pollen traps - sounds to me like you have created a very large surface that can't be protected by guard bees against robbing. SHB traps (over oil trays) use #6, varroa screens are generally #8.

JMO

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so just short of ripping them all apart, is there anything I can do to remedy this? That was the smallest size I could find at Home Depot. Thanks

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Try a regular lumber yard, they usually have the smaller screens... and why rip them all apart? can't you just simply remove the screen you used, and install the new?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I guess my question is what is it you're trying to accomplish & what (if anything) you plan to set under this screen?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Like StevenG said, I don`t know why you would have to rip them all apart. If you really can`t remove the #4 screen, then at least you should be able to staple #8 cloth on top of it. If not re-examine your design. How many have you made like this? What ever you do, don`t use the 1/4 inch screen in your bee yard . It`s way to big.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You could place a second piece of #4 over the top, staggering it so that its lines run between the strands of the current piece. I have one I made like this in a bind. I don't like it as well, but it has been in service for a couple of years now. I found #8 at my local Ace store, about a $1 per square foot. If they don't have it, they could probably order it for you.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
You can get #8 at hardware stores like ACE, I purchase it by the roll but they sell it by the foot. You could staple #8 over the #4 you currently have in place, or as reccommended stagger another piece of #4 on top in essence creating #8. Either will work in lieu of tearing everything apart.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try a regular lumber yard, they usually have the smaller screens... and why rip them all apart? can't you just simply remove the screen you used, and install the new?
Because I stapled the screen to the main frame and then the 3/4 shim on top of the screen. I was kind of contemplating laying another strip over it and offsetting it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like StevenG said, I don`t know why you would have to rip them all apart. If you really can`t remove the #4 screen, then at least you should be able to staple #8 cloth on top of it. If not re-examine your design. How many have you made like this? What ever you do, don`t use the 1/4 inch screen in your bee yard . It`s way to big.
I made 5 like this and I thought it was ok until I noticed some wasps trying to get thru it and although I never saw one actually go thru, it made me wonder and I figured they could and if they could, so could the bees, and other bees in a robbing scenario.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess my question is what is it you're trying to accomplish & what (if anything) you plan to set under this screen?
Trying to accomplish ventilation and mite control. I'm sure it would work for the ventilation and the mites but I don't want a robbing situation.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
717 Posts
Probably any of the afore-mentioned solutions will work. I know I got #8 at home depot before, but it was by the roll. I would be careful not to restrict your entrance by stacking screens, tho...

I think I have found a link for #6 woven by the foot which I need over my oil trap to 'control' SHB. I'll post it as soon as I can - unless someone else already knows a source

1 - 15 of 15 Posts