Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that arrived on May 25 from a 3# package of bees. The queen is an Italian. The hive didn't take off like another one that was hived on the same day. I checked and the queen was laying scattered brood. Went back and checked a couple of weeks later and everything seemed fine. The laying pattern was good and big orientation flights. Now the hive has stalled and after looking at it tonight I realize that the queen is not good. Scattered brood but a good number of bees in the hive. The hive consists of two deep supers and a medium that I put on this evening. The bottom super has about six frames of brood. I checkerboarded the frames(they are all drawn) in the bottom super. The middle deep is completely drawn but only has honey but is mostly full of bees. My question is do I requeen now or do I wait for spring to requeen the hive? I could pinch the queen that I have but hate to have a three week skip in brood this late in the year. Sorry for the long question but I wanted to make sure you had enough information to answer. Thanks in advance.
:scratch:

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you can buy a mated queen for a known source, receive the new queen, pinch the old one and immediately put in the old one (in her protective cage) you might not have to wait but a few days, introduce her and she starts laying eggs in say 7-10 days. That would be better than the 3-4 hiatus for a hatched queen. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Leave the queen alone. It is hot where you are right now. Very hot, and you are probably in a dearth. The queen is not laying for a reason. Just leave her alone. If there is a problem you can take care of it in the spring.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I agree with mythomane, if you had a good pattern earlier she is just semi shutting down because of a dearth. It is late to be requeening, but where you are at a mated queen would probably work for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts