Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd appreciate any advice. Last year I went into the winter with a new two deep hive and a styrofoam top feeder in place, and the hive wintered well. Currently the two deep brood boxes are full of bees and the extreme frames (#1 & #10 in each box) are full of capped honey, so I think the brood chamber is well along. I currently have on two medium supers; one nearly full and almost ready to take off, and another one just being drawn out.

My question is how best to prepare the hive for the winter at this point; we're just starting to see goldenrod in our neighborhood. Thanks. Paul

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Sounds to me like you are in good shape at this point. The golden rod started here several weeks ago.

You have an active state association - I would check with them for more advice on specific wintering techniques. What I do here on the coast would not be applicable for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thoughts; I'll check locally. What I'm most interested in is what do people do with the partially drawn and uncapped super frames on a hive over winter? Leave the box on, or take it off, or some thing else? Thanks. Paul

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I pull frams that are capped and sort out the uncap ones and leave them.
David

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You should leave your double brood nest with one full medium of honey plus what they put in the broodnest. Weigh the hive if you can near the end of September...oh yeah you're in Killington...in the middle of September. Should weigh 155-160 with outer cover off. Feed 1 gallon of 2:1 syrup for every 10 pounds the hive is light.

The medium being drawn out now will be finished if we have a good Goldenrod flow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Michael. That's the level of detail that I was looking for. :)

Thanks to everyone else too.
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts