Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do honey bees work pecans?
I am in Indiana and I have a possible client that wants to start a pecan grove. He asked me this and I did not know for sure and so I am asking.

thank you

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I learned something new already this morning,. thanks! :)

"The pecan is monoecious, that is, the male (catkin) and female flowers are borne separately at different locations on the same tree. The female flowers are borne in clusters near the ends of current seasons shoots in the spring. The catkins are borne on the base of the shoot and along the length of the supporting 1-year-old wood.
Pecans are pollinated by the wind."

Farther along in article: "Since pecans are wind-pollinated only, excessive rain during bloom prevents pollination,.." >> http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2213.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I did not know. I did know that almonds are pollinated by bee but did not know about pecans.

Thank you for the info. I will read through all of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
break even is along ways off with pecans. would have him contact
growers association where he from for assistants an a orchard tour of dos an dont the best varity for yall area ect.. some types is alternatein barein
like the cape fears an stuartes . they got new varitys that aint think
the kiowas an pawnees. spacein is important an so is the 2 diferent
varitys you need to plant. 1 crow can damage 15 lbs of pecans a year.
add in the insects along with fungicide sprayin an it aint plantin an walkin
away til harvest. durein nut formation in 1 mature tree in sumer
can use about 100 gals of water a day.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
They are wind pollinated but the bees will really get after the pollen if nothing else is blooming. You may see some increase in yeild from bees but the trees don't need bees like almonds do. Pecans are a true nut like a walnut while almond are actually a stone fruit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts