Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my 3 hives in a spot that stays shady and decided they need moving to a sunny spot due to SHB. I am setting up some new hives about 500yards away in a sunny spot and I don't have a place 2 miles away to set the hives for a week, til I can move them back.

How can I go about moving them and will the bees find their new way home? I don't mind having drift.

Thanks for your advice:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Move the 2 strongest to the new location. Drift will help your weaker colony. If possible move the last colony 20ft a day on a hand truck or wagon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Make sure to close up the entrances the night before the move.

·
Registered
575 Posts
:scratch:IMHO the two mile thing is another less than educated rule waiting for the myth busters.

On trusted guidance (Mike Bush? Draper?) I moved them about 150 yards and to the other side of stand of trees between yards early evening when most were hunkered down for the night and put leafy branches over the entrance. The thought is that the branches create confusion the next day and first thing they do the orientation thing. A couple days later I got around to removing the branches and they acted like they grew up there. Never saw any cluster or group at the old location.

I did the same with nucs and I'd do again without thinking twice;).

·
Registered
196 Posts
500 yards? That is over a quarter mile..... 20 feet per day..... you'll get them there about June 1st.
But I'm not about to suggest a method - really 500 yards? 440 is a quarter mile isn't it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now throrope sounds like he has a plan that'll work. Also move then during the winter if you actually have one!
I think I will use his method except I will leave my weakest hive at the old site for a day or two (as my help will probably only be good for 2 hives, and I can lift the weak one by myself).

Winter...what's that?:D Actually we get one, and it's been a cold one for us; we even got 6-8 inches of snow this year. But I've already got loads of capped brood in my hives as of two weeks ago.

·
Registered
575 Posts
One more, strap'em nice and tight both ways and don't let them fall over in transit. Hive assembly without the bees is much easier.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>Move the 2 strongest to the new location. Drift will help your weaker colony

Thats a good idea,

then move the other hive during a wet cooler non bee flight period.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Michael Bush's branch method also works pretty well. Just move them first thing in the morning and then put something directly in front of the hive to cause them to re-orient. I usually just grab a spare lid and lean it accross the entrance so they have to fly around it.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
How can something that has work flawlessly for a 100 years be a "less than educated rule"? I am not saying there is not a better way to do it but I can assure everyone reading this the old two foot or two mile rule works every time. Having said that, I intend to use the branch over then entrance next time I have to move some just to see how it works for me.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
grass stuffed in the entrance works well for me and its convienent to get. good luck,mike

·
Registered
494 Posts
There's a really good method on Michael Bush's website. I used it and it worked great. You'll need an extra top and bottom board to pull it off though.

You basically move the hive and leave the top box at the old site on an extra top and bottom board. After dusk (but not at night) move over the last box. Be sure to put a flight-path obstruction over the entrance in the new location.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>How can something that has work flawlessly for a 100 years be a "less than educated rule"? I

Try doing it for 500 feet and see if you could make some other method work as well
I know I have, and boy, the loss of a few workers isnt worth the work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts