Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes, peanuts bloom. Making honey off of them is an unknown question. Lots of plants produce flowers, but whether or not they secrete sufficient nectar to make surplus honey is one issue. Having a large enough field with substantial blooming plants is another.

Here's what a peanut plant looks like:

http://www.auntrubyspeanuts.com/images/plant-copy.jpg

Then there's also an issue of chemical sprays. Do peanuts require any pesticides for commercial production? Just south of me, the potato fields are in full, glorious bloom. However, the potato growers spray the heck out these plants. Whether or not they secrete any nectar is another question.

Grant
Jackson, MO www.maxhoney.homestead.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering because a farmer is planting 200 acres about a quarter of a mile from my hives. I know they flower but just don't know if bees use them.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
And that's a good question: do the bees use them?

Not far from me is another beekeeper who was RAVING about how his bees were foraging on a specific flowering weed in the early part of the spring. He said the bees were "tearing them up!"

I had some of this same weed growing in my yard and the bees didn't touch it when I walked out in the yard at various times of the day. In my mind, if the bees liked this plant, I was going to try and propagate those weeds.

I've been told bees will forage on the best, sweetest-smelling flower at the time. I guess I had better flowers blooming than that weed.

Grant
Jackson, MO www.maxhoney.homestead.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would also try to catch the farmer and ask if and what he intends to spray on the peanuts ( Im not sure they spray them?) possibly might need to move your bees?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts