Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know as a general rule that honey colors are influened by the the plants that the nectar comes from. So I have a few sources that i'm wondering about as i've not seen any up close. Anyone that knows for sure is welcome to respond as i'm a little clueless.. lol :)

Sourwood = ? What color
Clover = ? What color - (stores shows lighter to a medium amber which is it?)
Sumac = ? What color

My hives at this point are full of a light amber to very pale amber honey that is awesome as for taste. Any clues appreciated..

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I think they are all somewhere in the amber to light amber range. Sourwood has a nice complex twang without any significant bitterness in the aftertaste but maybe a little sourness to the aftertaste. Clover had a lot less flavor than sourwood and is fairly (for honey) bland. Sumac is less flavorful than sourwood, but still has a lot of flavor. Sort of fruity.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB - Thank you for your help. I now know that apparently from the taste my hive have found sourwood this year. And i can say i'm in love with the taste. Today I went out and taste tested in a few hives just to see and it's like you explain. Looks as though in about a week or so I should be extracting about 300 - 500 lb from some of the hives, what i don't use in splits for next year.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
>...apparently from the taste my hive have found sourwood this year. And i can say i'm in love with the taste.

I would have a hard time only eating one kind of honey, but if I had to choose just one, I think sourwood would be my favorite. I like flavorful honey and it has that with no unpleasantness to the aftertaste as some of the strong honey has. Tupelo is very nice, but not nearly as strong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts