Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I inspected my hive that threw the swarm 4 days ago. There was a fair amount of capped brood, but absolutely no uncapped larvae. I also found about 5 empty queen cells and one that was unfinished but stuffed about full of jelly. Does the swarming queen stop laying several days before she leaves? I don't ever remember looking in a hive that threw a swarm and finding no larvae.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have some hives that look the same...back filled no eggs/larva end no sign of a Queen but Queen cells. I have hopes that virgin Queen is involved in this picture.

How long before one should see eggs/brood?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The swarming queen will slow down or stop production. Its her way of slimming down enough to be able to fly with the swarm when the time comes. Hopefully you have a virgin queen, or a newly mated one, in the hive now.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The swarming queen will slow down or stop production. Its her way of slimming down enough to be able to fly with the swarm when the time comes. Hopefully you have a virgin queen, or a newly mated one, in the hive now.
Had that to happen several times,Look & not find any brood capped or uncapped.
Chew my finger nails off for a few days.Then go back & brood every where.LOL.Mark,,,,,,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts