Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to move couple loads of hives from Montana to California, searching for trucks already the 3rd week with no results. We called trucking companies, owner operators, brokers we knew or found online. I feel desperate in this freezing temperature (we had -3F), especially after such a worst year, the hives are very light.
My current thought is to buy a heavy truck. The setup that came to my mind is: flatbed truck around 25ft deck, tandem axle and a flatbed trailer behind with about 25ft deck. The GVWR (truck + trailer) needs to be 80,000 lbs. This way I can use the flatbed truck around beeyards and when I need to move them long distance the trailer can be attached. I don't know if this is possible. On the truck will fit about 200 hives (3 pallets high) and 200 on the trailer, about the same number as on a 48 ft trailer.
I took as an example a freightliner M2 106, tandem axle. The GVWR online is only up to 66,000. If I attach a trailer can I go 80k? Some small pickups have over 30k with trailer. Maybe someone can suggest a truck model and trailer or truck specs? Is there a department that can teach me on this?
Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Yes you can get a 10 wheeler with a combination weight rating of 80,000lb.

GVW and GCWR should be listed sperately on your title. Sometimes on the registration they just list the highest.

Aaron

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Aaron for your reply, especially for the picture. It is helpful.
Wow, 3 axles on the truck. This is a 14 wheeler + trailer. Trailer has less axles, but more hives.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaron, can you tell me what model and make is the truck? I will know aprox. what specs to look for, like hp, torgue etc. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
2010 International WOrkstar 7600.

The Truck Weighs in around 24000lb with a legal load limit of 62000 ish pounds due to bridge law weigh distributions(different in each state, but i go by the lowest here on the east coast. The builder of the truck did not figure in bridge law and axle spacing when installing our lift axle behind the drives, so we can not take full advantage of the 20,000lb lift axle, only about half.

The trailer is good for 40,000lb and wieghs 10,000lb
The bees in these phots are way light, we put the extra layer on the trailer since it sets about 6' lower than the truck, for less drag.

We had the lift axle behind the drives so that we had better turning radius with the axle up. And the lift axle is not really needed, but it helps if you put the weight on the truck wrong for easier distribution, instead of reloading the whole thing.

Aaron

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking to move couple loads of hives from Montana to California, searching for trucks already the 3rd week with no results. We called trucking companies, owner operators, brokers we knew or found online. I feel desperate in this freezing temperature (we had -3F), especially after such a worst year, the hives are very light.
My current thought is to buy a heavy truck. The setup that came to my mind is: flatbed truck around 25ft deck, tandem axle and a flatbed trailer behind with about 25ft deck. The GVWR (truck + trailer) needs to be 80,000 lbs. This way I can use the flatbed truck around beeyards and when I need to move them long distance the trailer can be attached. I don't know if this is possible. On the truck will fit about 200 hives (3 pallets high) and 200 on the trailer, about the same number as on a 48 ft trailer.
I took as an example a freightliner M2 106, tandem axle. The GVWR online is only up to 66,000. If I attach a trailer can I go 80k? Some small pickups have over 30k with trailer. Maybe someone can suggest a truck model and trailer or truck specs? Is there a department that can teach me on this?
Thank you very much.
If you have a business with insurance and a qualified CDL operator. You may check into renting a unit? Ryder or Penske have any size truck you may need. Located nationwide. If you elect to go with a 5th wheeled tandem tractor. There are also 53ft freight van trailer rental businesses in all states.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My cousin tried to rent a flatbed, 48ft trailer to help me. We did not have the insurance coverage they wanted. Thanks.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Nice rig there Aaron.

Reactions: AstroZomBEE

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2010 International WOrkstar 7600.

The Truck Weighs in around 24000lb with a legal load limit of 62000 ish pounds due to bridge law weigh distributions(different in each state, but i go by the lowest here on the east coast. The builder of the truck did not figure in bridge law and axle spacing when installing our lift axle behind the drives, so we can not take full advantage of the 20,000lb lift axle, only about half.

The trailer is good for 40,000lb and wieghs 10,000lb
The bees in these phots are way light, we put the extra layer on the trailer since it sets about 6' lower than the truck, for less drag.

We had the lift axle behind the drives so that we had better turning radius with the axle up. And the lift axle is not really needed, but it helps if you put the weight on the truck wrong for easier distribution, instead of reloading the whole thing.

Aaron
If you don't mind couple more questions. Can your truck be registered at 80,000 together with trailer? This year the hives are very light, in the past we were over weight with 408 hives on 48ft trailer.
Aprox. how many HP (horsepower) does the truck have? I see most of the 24ft flatbeds, tandem axles have around 350hp. I have to find out if 350hp engine will do Ok loaded with 80k (truck, trailer) crossing the Sierra Mt. on I-80 from Reno to Sacramento. Thanks.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Happy, I used to drive an International 9400 tractor with a 350HP Cummins. Pulling a fully loaded trailer over any type of mountain was a struggle, unless you like looking at the scenery while going 20 mph. 350hp at 80k is flat land only, IMO. Look for something in the 425+ range. Also make sure the truck has an engine exhaust brake (Jake brake). 5 miles of a 9% grade can cause things to get interesting without one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.