Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a warre hive that I started this spring. it has 3 boxes. the top box is full of honey and plenty of comb in the second box. I was going to harvest the top box, but heard that the bees only draw comb in the spring. Since this is the first year of my hive I am thinking that I should just leave the top box for winter stores if the bees wont draw anymore comb this year to fill with honey.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Naahhh, bees will draw-comb anytime they perceive the need for more comb. However, if you are worried about it, perhaps you should only harvest a (small?) portion of the contents of that box. Leave the rest, close it up, and in a month or so take a peek to see what they actually did with the "hole" that you left behind.

"Then, next year, you'll know more." Or, perhaps in another month or so you'll decide that there is another small crop to take. (Take, say, "half of ..."​ that.) You get the idea.

My general notion about all of this is that I don't want to say, at the end of a season, "Oops, guess I made a mistake ... so sorry that you all died." :) No, I'd much rather have erred on the side of caution. "Take less, leave more." "Take-a-peek often enough to know, but not enough to meddle." If there seems to be a harvest to be gathered, then gather ... half of it. Next year, you'll know more.

And, one way or the other, if Lady Nature-Luck holds, you will still be rewarded with some of the most incredible-tasting honey you have ever tasted, and you will know where every taste came from . . . "Priceless.™"

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,164 Posts
The bees are most prone to build comb when conditions and the time of year is right. It takes heat to do it efficiently. It takes excess nectar to trigger it. It takes young bees to do it efficiently. Spring is a more likely time to get a lot of comb built. But they will build comb anytime they need a place to store nectar and they don't have it. I would wait until fall to decide what to take or what to leave, that way you don't find yourself in a lurch because you took too much and they don't have a place to store anything and the weather is too cold to draw wax efficiently. You can harvest after the weather turns cold and you'll know what the season has brought instead of speculating on what it might bring yet...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts