Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the lang. hive, once you put your frames in, how far down are they from the super lip...I mean, if I put an inner cover on the top of the super, are the frames 3/8 of an inch below the inner cover.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That depends on the type of inner cover you use. The older, better built inner covers have a shallow side and a deep side, shallow side down would maintain bee space. I have noticed the newer ones are the same both sides and I get burr comb no matter how I install them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the frames sit almost flush with the top of the hive body, and you build in teh space with the inner cover?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Supers made in the U.S. are made with what is called top bee space. There should be 1/4 inch above the top of the frames to the top edge of the super. The inner cover rim would have a 1/8 inch strip to make a total of 3/8 inch bee space . In Europe some bee equipment is made with bottom bee space. This means there is 3/8 inch from the bottom bar of the frames to the bottom edge of the super. This puts the top of the top bar even with the top edge of the super. The inner cover would then have to have the 3/8 clearance built into it.

The actual space will depend on the thickness of the top bar of the frames used. Some frame top bars are thicker than others, so it pays not to mix frames from different companies. Check the frames you use and build any equipment with the dimensions needed to give the correct 3/8 inch.

Bee space actually varies from 3/16 inch to 3/8 inch in wild combs but in Langstroth boxes you have less burr comb if you keep the full 3/8 inch below the inner cover.

·
Registered
125 Posts
so the frames sit almost flush with the top of the hive body, and you build in teh space with the inner cover?
That's the idea but you have to watch it, especially if your mixing woodenware from one source with woodenware from another. I bought a cheap new hive kit complete with inner cover and frames. The combined top bee space was more like 1/2 in. plus. It was one of those covers with the shallow sides top and bottom. I think the cover depth alone was 3/8ths along with the 1/8th in. from top of frame to hive-body lip. Constantly building burr comb in that hive. I put metal frame rails to make the frame tops closer to flush and that helped. I suspect it was a thinner topbar on the frames. The 2 new hives and NUC I just bought, the top bee space between the inner cover and top of frames is a perfect 3/8th in. Top bars on those frames are nice and thick and sit flush with the super lip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts