Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. About a mont ago, I hived six packages at the house. I pass by them dailyy as I go to work or take the garbage out.

I have reducers on them all and I am using the widest opening.

One hive seems to have 6 or 7 worker bees lined up in the crack of the reducer. I am not sure why. They could be guard bees but usually with a package, my experiance is that they do not have enough bees to have a strong gaurd fource hence the use of the reducer.

I feel like the hive represents the show and bar called "Cheers" and the bees are Norm and the mail man.

Any thoughts on these actions?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Chef, it doesn't sound so strange to me. After a month, I should imagine the colony's built up enough that it can "afford" to have 6 or 7 guards. I'd probably be taking the reducer off about now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chef, I never pull the reducer off of new packages until bees are fanning at the entrance during the day. This tells me that they can keep the hive warm on their own with out any help of the reducer.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The reducer has do to with weaker hives being able to protect themselves from robbing and to keep mice out in the fall and winter If you have a nectar flow going on robbing should not be a problem. If not it may be good to leave the reducers in place. Bees don't heat the hive space but cluster and heat the cluster when temps get below about 60 F so this doesn't need to be a consideration this time of year.

The bees you see could likely be guard bees or they may be gluing things together. Let us know though if you see them hanging out with a beer and making snyde comments!

[ May 11, 2006, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Joel ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts