Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some hives that were desperately needing to be split. BeeWeaver had some later fall 2018 queens they over-wintered for sale today. I decided to go for it rather than waiting 3-4 weeks for 2019s.

But just for learning purposes, in your experience is a fall queen that had already “endured a winter” of significant lesser quality than a young spring queen? Bottom line, I was happy to get them as my hives needed it. And I like BeeWeaver queens.

But just wondering the general differences of an overwintered fall 2018 queen vs. a young 2019.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Typically over wintered second season bees lay very good. I do after the solstice queens then over winter them in Nucs. I then sell them as early Nucs. By all reports they do very well.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It is believed by many that queens are best in there 2nd year. Which I personally agree with. The down side is they are 1 year closer to being replaced. Current year queens are usually poor early in the season as they push the earliest limits to get them mated . There quality goes up as the season improves. So you can take your chances with early queens. Wait for the better ones. Or go with over wintered " tested" queens and lose a year. Each has its own drawback, pick what works best for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts