Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our bees today, two boxes of them. We have two hives we set up about a month ago.

We just hived both boxes. One went just perfectly, but the first box didn't go so well. The queen flew off as soon as my husband opened the little cage! So, we have one intact hive and one without a queen.

What should we do now? Should we try to buy a new box of bees, or just a new queen ? If we get just a new queen, how will we introduce her to the remaining bees? I am just heartbroken- I wanted to do this right, and already we may lose an entire hive.
:(

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you can, get a new queen. When you get her, do not directly release her. Pull the cork out of the candy end and poke a hole in the candy, so it'll be easier for the bees to chew through. Place the queen cage between two of the middle frames, and make sure you have the candy side up, so if one or more attendant bees die, they won't clog the hole. By the time the queen and her attendants chew their way out, the colony will have accepted her.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
If you had put the bees in the hive and then opened the cork on the queen cage it is possible the queen flew out and oriented on the box that had her package in it. She could return to the hive and enter without you seeing her. Wait one or two days and then check the hive for a queen.

If no queen is found and you must order a new one, put her in the hive and let the bees eat through the candy to release her. Your other option is to take a frame with eggs/larvae from the queenright colony and give to the queenless hive. They will then make a queen.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
As said, the queen might come back. If she's not back by the next day, if it was me, I'd join the queenless package with the queen right package. Then after it is established well, pull a split out of it and order a queen for it at that time. If you try to order a queen now, it'll take to long to get her, with this just being a package with no brood or queen to hold the bees to the hive. The brood and the queen is what holds all the bees together with a purpose.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Keep it simple; order another queen. Whine and cry to your supplier and see if they'll ship one out quickly. Don't do a direct release, let the bees eat through the candy plug; that's why they put the candy in there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd go with RayMarler on this one, unite your packages and order another one like he said it's the queen that holds these bees if you dont have brood.
You will probably find that all the bees from your queenless hive will move into the queenright hive anyway!
Kiwi

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
That little cage is called a shipping and introduction cage.
Queens are in very short supply right now.
Your inexperience has cost you a queen!
And, the supplier will probably chuckle at your demand for another queen.
1,000's of queens are being introduced today and we do not directly release the queens. At least use a marshmellow next time
Good Luck,
Ernie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean by "...use a marshmallow..."?

And we are going out to our supplier tomorrow. He's said he'll either sell us a queen or help us to split the good hive in a few weeks. We are really lucky to be surrounded by so many experienced beeks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our queen cage had no hole, just mesh stapled over a tiny wood box. The queen cages which come with packages of bees are different than the cages when we buy a separate queen, so marshmallows wouldn't have helped. We did our best, it was a beginner's mistake.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Our queen cage had no hole, just mesh stapled over a tiny wood box. The queen cages which come with packages of bees are different than the cages when we buy a separate queen, so marshmallows wouldn't have helped. We did our best, it was a beginner's mistake.
I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. There was no way to slowly introduce our queen either. It was a direct release because of the type of little box she came in.

Cindy, I don't know if you had the same experience but I was really surprised at how smart the queen was. She was so eager to get out. As soon as I picked up the box and brushed off the bees her little nose was right at the end with the staple in it. As I slowly pulled the staple out she didn't budge, she was waiting, she knew I was opening it. Did you spray your queen with sugar syrup?

·
Registered
375 Posts
What do you mean by "...use a marshmallow..."?

And we are going out to our supplier tomorrow. He's said he'll either sell us a queen or help us to split the good hive in a few weeks. We are really lucky to be surrounded by so many experienced beeks.
Great news! They seemed really nice. I'm glad they are willing to help you out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, we sprayed both queens. Mark was worried that we would spray them too much, since Marla and Gary both emphasized not drenching the bees. After seeing the cloud of bees come out of that first package, I sprayed the second bunch much more thoroughly, and yes- that time, the queen went right down into the middle of her bees. Quite different from the first batch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts